Thursday, August 8, 2013

Storage Bin Transformed into an Ottoman







You know the phrase, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle," right?  Sometimes I can take it to an extreme!  Partly because I hate to spend money when I could turn something I already have into what I am looking for.  It might also have something to do with the fact I am a very picky person.  So being a thrifty and picky person usually means that I can't find anything in a store that I love that is also in my budget. 

Enter my latest project.  So for I have this project, I am repurposing a curtain that I made out of a sheet a couple of years ago.  I have tons of these 18 Gallon Storage bins.  I think I buy at least one whenever they go on sale, which is everywhere right now with all the kids going off to college.  They are just so handy.  We use them for traveling on vacations, recycling, storage around the house.  But while they are inexpensive, they are not so adorable.  Until now!

Supplies
18 Gallon Storage bin  with lid (mine is Sterilite)
Twin Flat Sheet ( if you are using fabric, its around 2 1/2 yards)
Standard Pillow
Elastic
Glue Gun and glue sticks

If you are using a Sterilite bin, you can probably use these measurements.  If not, use the notches underneath the lip of the bin to help you measure.

Cut the fabric.  For the bottom, you'll need:
2 pieces of fabric that measure the same as the wide side (about 21 inches in width and 18 inches in height), allowing yourself 1/4 inch on each side for seams

2 pieces of fabric the same width of the smaller side (about 18 inches inches in width and 18 inches in height), allowing 1/4 inch for seams

4 pieces that measure 4 inches by 12 inches for the faux pleats on each corner

For the top, you'll need:
1 piece of fabric cut to the same size as the lid of your bin (I used a pencil to lightly trace mine)
1 piece about 72 inches long ans 8 inches wide (top side piece)

Sew one long piece to one short piece with the right sides of the fabric together.  Repeat for the other side.  Then sew them together to complete all the sides.  I stopped sewing mine at about 10 inches from the bottom.  This is where you will sew the faux pleat.   Put it on the bin to see how it fits.  You may notice that it fits snug around the lip of the bin but is not fitted underneath the lip of the bin.  I have done several of them this way and I like this a lot.  It will lead to a boxier looking ottoman.  However, for this one, I wanted it to be a more fitted cover.  So to get the more fitted look, turn the cover inside out and pin it along the sides.  Then pull it off and sew it down the sides.



Sew the 1/4 inch hem on the the remaining 10 inches of fabric.  Then hem the bottom edge of the cover and the bottom and sides of the faux pleats.

I

Sew the faux pleats on each corner of the fabric corner.  Fold down the raw edge at the top and use the glue gun to secure it to the bin.


Sew the lid size piece to the top side piece.


Then sew a two inch band for the elastic around it.  Thread the elastic through and sew the ends together. Finish sewing the band.  Put a standard pillow on the lid and then the cover.

Yay!  You made a new, one of a kind storage ottoman!  Or if you want me to make one for you, you can order one at our Etsy Store!






No comments :

Post a Comment