Sunday, June 23, 2013

Habitat for Humanity ReStore Furniture Redo


I love checking out the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for new projects.  This trip I was looking for a "new to me" piece of furniture to keep mail and the backpacks hidden.  Hey, at least I can fool people into thinking I'm organized!  So here is what I found...



Okay, so it looks a little pitful and it's missing a knob.   But never underestimate what a little DIY lovin' can do!  I knew I wanted to paint it black so I got all my supplies together.  Here is what I used:

Sand paper
Valspar latex enamel in Satin Black
Mini paint roller
Mini foam roller cover
Wooster Pelican Pail
New knobs (also from the Habitat ReStore for $.25 each)




  1. I took off all the remaining knobs and the magnets on the doors.
  2. Then I sanded the whole thing lightly.  I didn't want to get down to the wood.  I just wanted to make it rough enough for the paint to stay on.
  3. Then I wiped it all down to make sure there was no dust left on it.
  4. Then I applied three layers of paint and let it dry thoroughly between coats.
  5. Last, I put the new knobs on it.
And here it is!



And here is one with the doors open so you can see where I hide the backpacks.


I hadn't really given much thought to what we might call this piece of furniture but then my sweet husband referred to it as the "credenza".  Seems like an awfully fancy word for some furniture that someone donated but I think I'll go with it!
 
 

1 comment :

  1. Much obliged concerning giving such a stunning blog.Every tips of furniture recovery, point that say in the post truly exceptionally useful.amazing tips I must say!!

    ReplyDelete